Recently, I was given the opportunity to re-enter the workforce in a new industry from my former. Previously, I worked in non-for-profit religious and before that direct marketing. This new industry actually is one that has been around me my entire life. Many of my relatives have worked in it or currently still do so. That industry is healthcare.
The most important and awesome part about the experience is the opportunity came suddenly after a shocking self examination. What I realized was that I had been neglecting (in my prayer time) the topic of gaining new employment. In the natural, I was still being diligent calling my recruiters and applying for opportunities, reviewing my skill sets and working on clarifying my personal brand (online and offline.)
However, spiritually I had stopped thanking God for my new job in advance. On the flipside, I had begun studying and confessing over my business ventures. However, I needed to schedule more time for increase study including goal setting. I was lacking balance and once I realized that and corrected it; it was less than 24 hours that I received a phone call about this new opportunity!
All this was realized when the workaholic in me began to be decoded. Webster defines the word ”workaholic” as being a person that is a compulsive worker and one of the definitions for the word “decoded” means to discover the underlying meaning. The one thing that is powerful about prayer it is supposed to be a two way dialogue between you and God. When you take the time to stop talking it is amazing what God can drop into your spirit. For me, it was being shown why I had in the past always seemed so busy and why while I was working on projects, I was not able to close them out.
The Holy Spirit gently corrected and guided me through the process of an honest self assessment of how I had been managing my time.
- First I needed to be realistic with my schedule. Remembering to put God first. Giving him undivided time and focus; more than I had before.
- Not taking on new projects without first closing out current ones and consulting God in prayer about taking new ones.
- Re-learning how to and socializing offline with like minded people.
- Exploring my environment for new opportunities (neighborhood and community)
- Not second guessing when God has already given me peace in my spirit on projects that take me out of my comfort zone.
- Tapping into my personal networks, family, friends and former colleagues. I now have mentors not just supporters.
- Truly seeing my life and myself as God sees me as someone and something that is precious and worthy to be loved, shared and shown appreciation.
Now getting back to the topic of this article the decoding of a former workaholic, my life during the last year has become more balanced. Though my schedule on the outside looks fuller it is filled with manageable items.
No longer is work, my life it is a function or aspect of it. I truly know and trust that God is my source and by living a balanced life; I am giving him the greatest of me really for the first time. I know it is not his will to see me stressed out, cranky and snappy to those I love and care about.
Two questions I now constantly ask myself…
- How can my spirit yield when called upon by the Holy Spirit if it is stressed?
- Why should I hold onto concerns He/God has given me the okay to give to Him?
So as I continue to be decoded…
- Leave work on time
- Eat my lunch away from my desk
- Take care of my physical (using my gym membership), mental and spiritual health
- Foster my relationships
- And most importantly believing by faith that God plus me is okay
I can confidently say I am a former workaholic that is being not only decoded but also re-invented and classified as passionate.
© 2009, Lela Jefferson Fagan. All rights reserved.